Re: How to show $arch releaseability (was: Re: How to define a release architecture)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:45:56PM +0000, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:02:47 +0100, David Schmitt
> <david@schmitt.edv-bus.at> wrote:

> > As Steve mentioned in another mail[1], one of the points where arches offload
> > work onto the release team is

> > "3) chasing down, or just waiting on (which means, taking time to poll the
> > package's status to find out why a bug tagged 'testing' is still open),
> > missing builds or fixes for build failures on individual architectures that
> > are blocking RC bugfixes from reaching testing"

> The inspection will be a painful process for anyone who doesn't have
> an otherwise idle ARM handy.  Sure, he (or I) can massage the build
> log to construct URLs for files in pool, and pull them to $fast_box,
> unpack, and inspect.  But an arm porter is in a better position to do
> this inspection, since apt-get build-dep will work without a bunch of
> script-fu.

Eh, not particularly.  This inspection can be done on any machine, and
there's no reason not to just use the fastest one available to you (whether
that's by CPU, or network); what's needed here is to first identify which
packages that were used in the build were broken, which can't be done with
apt-get build-dep even on arm; and then verify whether the packages in
question have been fixed in a newer version.  In general, just looking at
apt-get build-dep doesn't guarantee that you haven't overlooked the problem
that caused the build failure in the first place, and it isn't even
guaranteed to install the same *packages* (let alone package *versions*) as
sbuild.

ARM porters aren't in a better *position* to do this kind of thing, but I
certainly expect them to have more *incentive* to do this kind of thing for
their port.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer