Re: How to define a release architecture

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:45:00AM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> I think the point of this requirement is to support it we need buildds
> in the future for security fixes. Hence while I might like my mips box,
> etc. it would be irresponsible for us to do a release that we could not
> support in e.g. two years time when the motherboards of our buildds die.

Mips is extremely alive and it was a huge surprise if new mips-based
products weren't available ten years from now.

> Perhaps this clause could be refined, though: should it be a sub-arch
> requirement and not just an arch one; or could we specify that its OK to
> release if we have a given stock of replacement hardware available
> (e.g. given our good relationship with HP, its likely we could get
> sufficient Alpha hardware for several years after HP finally stop
> shipping Alphas).

The release team's announcement affects only hppa and alpha in the
forseeable future.

And in both cases an arrangement with HP could erase the problems.

> Regards
> Alastair McKinstry

cu
Adrian