Re: Required firewall support

On 19-Mar-05, 10:00 (CST), Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> wrote:

> Umm, rp_filter is for rejecting packets whose *source* address is from the
> wrong network.

Right. I know this. But what Joel was originally talking about was
rejection of packets on interface A that are destined for an address on
interface B; Joel seemed to be claiming that if this didn't happen by
default, then the OS was a "toy"; I was pointing out that Linux itself
fails this.

> If you want to block accepting your own address as the *destination*, then
> no, there's no config parameter for that. Use iptables rules. :-/

And that's what we do. But some other OSs (Solaris) do support strict
multihoming with a config parameter, it would be nice if Linux did.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net