Re: How to pin certain packages from experimental?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:10:24 +0100, Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es>
wrote:
>* Marc Haber [Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:40:46 +0100]:
>> On a development system, I'd like to have experimental and unstable in
>> the sources.list, and to have experimental pinned down to a priority
>> tha experimental is never considered. For certain packages, I'd like
>> apt to consider experimental as well, taking whatever is newer from
>> experimental and unstable.
>
>  Not sure if it will solve your problem, but I was once advised to pin
>  all of experimental to 101. This has the effect of not installing
>  experimental packages by default, but once you manually pull one (with
>  -t experimental), that package is "tracked", i.e. upgraded when a new
>  upload to experimental happens.

Is this documented somewhere? Pinning is such a powerful tool, and
nobody seems to really understand it.

>> Package: exim4-daemon-light
>> Pin: release o=Debian,a=experimental
>> Pin-Priority: 555
>
>  Perhaps you should've used 500 here, so that a version comparison
>  happens between unstable and experimental (both at 500). If not,
>  you're stating that you prefer exim4 packages from experimental
>  regardless of their version.

No, 500 has the same result. It is the 555 I chose to make sure it is
actually this pin being honored, minimizing the chance of a 500 coming
in from somewhere else.

Preferring exim4 packages from experimental even if they do not exist
isn't a very good idea though.

Greetings
Marc