Re: A new arch support proposal, hopefully consensual (?)

Sven Luther wrote:

Problems with many arches:
  - same for the security team.
Hmm. I only saw Joey's message on the subject, which basically seemed to say "as long as it's only one source compiling on all arches, it's OK"

 7) the porter team has the possibility to providing arch-specific overrides
 to solve the issue of a package not passing from unstable into testing due to
 a tier1-specific RC bug or whatever. Should be used sparingly though.
This seems problematic in this respect.

I might have missed the previous suggestions or the obvious flaws of the idea, but why not have something along the lines of "releasing all 'tier2' arches with the packages they have", i.e. agressive per-arch removal for uninstallable/unusable/not-up-to-date packages. Those arches that have something worth releasing at release time (installer, all priority >= important, x% of optional in usual release quality) do that. This way, the security support of the additional arches would stay largely the same. One could have the present testing rules up to some point and switch to "if arch-specific RC bugs/testing delays pop up, stuff get removed" for release.

Kind regards

T.
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/