On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 12:00:23PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Darren Salt wrote:
> >I demand that Anthony Towns may or may not have written...
> >>Put them behind a firewall on a trusted LAN, use them to develop software
> >>for arm chips, and then just follow unstable or run non-security-supported
> >>snapshots. Apart from writing software for embedded arm things, I can't
> >>see
> >>the value
> >"Linux desktop box" comes to mind...
>
> But why would you spend over 1000 pounds on an arm Linux desktop box
> instead of a few hundred pounds on a random i386 desktop box?

Because you don't want a 100+W dissipating screaming monster on your desk ?

> A reasonable answer is because you're developing for arm's for embedded
> applications; but if so, what's the big deal with using unstable or
> snapshots, and running your public servers on other boxes?

Because using unstable is not a workable solution. Try to make a daily
unstable install, and count how many days it is broken on the tier1 arches,
and see how worse it can become on tier2 slower arches.

Friendly,

Sven Luther