Re: Emulated buildds (for SCC architectures)?

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 08:21:18PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de> writes:

> > > Debian packages cannot be reliably built with a cross-compiler,
> > > because they very frequently need to execute the compiled binaries as
> > > well as just compile them.

> > I suppose the idea is to use distcc and a crosscompiler - that way
> > the .c files are compiled to .o on a fast architecture with a
> > crosscompiler, but the configure scripts, linker and so on run natively.

> Right, but upstream makefiles don't work this way, and often
> interleave compilation and execution of native code.

> Consider a program that has its own source-code-building widget, which
> it needs to compile and run to generate more code to compile.

That'll work. _All_ distcc sends to the crosscompiler is preprocessed c
code to be compiled into object code. So the source-code building widget
is compiled remotely, run locally, and the results are sent to compile
remotely.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.