Re: Required firewall support

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> I agree that any Debian architecture needs to provide basic networking
> facilities, but I don't think firewalling is a real requirement. Yes,
> of course, we expect users to actually _run_ this architecture, and
> they will probably be connected to the network, and thus they can be
> at risk - But right now Debian installs are done with no firewalling
> rules on anyway.

Moreover, the question here is not what are good features to have, but
what are the features necessary for SCC (or ports, or whatever it's
called).  Non-released ports don't need buildds run by the Debian
system administrators, and don't need lots of them; the point is that
porting teams need to be making real progress to be in SCC, but not
done.

So I'm mostly fine with the requirements as written, but the question
still remains:

What features, exactly, are meant by "firewalling support" in the
requirement?  (I know what firewalling is as a general thing, but not
which specific features are desired.)

And, why is firewalling support essential for SCC?