Re: Do not make gratuitous source uploads just to provoke the buildds!

Peter 'p2' De Schrijver <p2@mind.be> writes:

>> Except the possibility to profit from the release team's efforts,
>> and to create an actually supported release. It is not reasonable
>> to believe a small porter team can do security updates for a
>> unstable snapshot when a task of similiar size already overloads
>> the stable security team.
>>

> No. As neither the release team, not the security team will take
> non-release archs into account.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter (p2).

You can still benefit from their work. The stable sources are
hopefully in sync with each other, the software is known to work.

Most importantly there are source CD/DVD sets out there for it. That
saves a lot of working and server space. I don't think Debian should
support having a complete fork, every port can do that on their own.

As for security stuff probably all fixes can be reused as is by the
porters if they have the sources in sync with stable. They just have
to setup a wanna-build and buildd and they get the fixes quickly after
Debian releases them. The more sources are out of sync the more likely
it is a vulnerable package has a different version which means extra
work.

But I would hope there could be some working together like one porter
joining the security team and including non release archs in the DSAs
_if_ they compile their packages on time.

MfG
        Goswin