Re: arch-specific packages and the new SCC requirements

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:12:29AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> To be in SCC, under the proposal we're all discussing, an arch must
> have build 50% of the archive, not counting arch-specific packages.
>
> The Debian Hurd project has another category that should be excluded
> because they are kernel-specific.  (The current list on the web page
> is update, makedev, ld.so, modconf, modutils, netbase, pcmcia-cs,
> procps, ppp, pppconfig, setserial.  There are surely more.)
>
> Ideally we would have a new field in the control file to specify
> Kernel (or System), which would normally be "any", but for packages
> like these would be "linux".  But that's a hornets nest of potential
> problems.
>
> We could ask the maintainer of update (say) to change it from
> "Architecture: any" to "Architecture: i386 mk68 ...".  But that's
> tedious, brittle, and we all hate it.
>
> What would really win, of course, is "Architecture: !hurd-i386".  But
> negative declarations are currently not yet supported.  They should
> be.
>
> None of this is insoluble, and I assume that it won't be a serious
> problem taking account of it, but it does mean that applying the 50%
> and 90% threshholds will require more than simply looking at
> statistics and applying them, because we don't currently have a
> fully-robust way to indicate the relevant kind of "arch specific".

The 'type-handling' package by Robert Millan appears to already be in
use for addressing exactly this sort of thing (since, as far as I am
aware, he wrote it for working on various BSD ports), at least in terms of
simplifying the Architecture: entry. See the cdbs source package for some
useful things this can deal with.

Teaching the build statistics stuff to understand what the real number of
packages for a given architecture for is a separate question, of course.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :