Hi,

On Mon, 14.03.2005 at 07:37:51 +0100, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> In general I would like to say that supporting a lot of architectures was
> an important difference between Debian and other distributions.  I know the
> drawbacks of this but I just do not want to hide my opinion that I do not
> like the idea of reducing the number of supported architectures that
> drastical.

I'm also looking forward to install Debian on a Sparc machine that has
just arrived.

Btw, why, or how, do other projects with much fewer users and also much
fewer developers, manage to release for more than 4 architecture?
*BSD come to mind...

> IMHO the effect would be that people will start forking Debian for porting
> issues and we will loose the power of those porters while they will spend
> time for things they would not have to do else.
>
> I think we should at least vote about such a drastic change.

Fully agreed!

Btw, I think that requiring 10% of all downloads penalizes those users
who have more than one machine and use means like apt-proxy, and/or
other automatic installation tools like FAI.

Best,
--Toni++