Re: NEW handling ...

Sven Luther wrote:
> After reading the mention of it in debian-weekly-news, i read with interest :
>
>   http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/random_idea_re_new_queue-2005-03-02-21-12.html
>
> And i am not sure to get the hang of it.
>
> You mention that not all packages will be able to do go to this new.debian.org
> archive, but that not-really-new packages are good candidates. How would one
> decide, is it the maintainer doing the upload who takes the decision ?

Yes of course, the same as a maintainer makes that decision before
putting a NEW package up on people.d.o right now.

> will there be an automated check during initial queue processing (for new binary
> packages for a same source package for example, or wildcarded packages for
> soname changes or kernels) ?

As far as the idea goes, I guess DD's who care about speeding that up
could automate or semi-automate their advocations for such packages in the
new queue. (If they weren't throttled.)

> Also, i don't understand what you get more this way, apart from added
> bureaucrazy, over simply accepting not-really-new packages out-of hand

My idea is not particularly targeted at that, it was more trying to
see how we could decentralise the whole new queue processing issue. I
don't really understand the benefits of requring NEW processing for
binaries, so I'm not going to try to second-guess the ftp-masters on it.

--
see shy jo