Re: ports.debian.org (Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:42:54PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:31:30PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > I'd propose to use a less "discriminating" name for the scc archive.
> > What about ports.debian.org (which coincidentally already exists and
> > http-wise points to http://www.debian.org/ports/)?
>
> You are probably risking confusion with BSD's ports system.

We've actually used "ports" in this sense for years, so I don't see the
risk. In any case, that confusion would probably benefit us, even, since
BSD's "ports" is equivalent to "unsupported software we provide for the
benefit of our end-users but we cannot fully support due to lack of
resources" [1] so that would fit our definition even if a 'port' in our
sense would be an architecture, and not a specific software package.

Regards

Javier

[1] Slightly based on http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html