powerpc64 (was Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting)

* Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> [2005-03-14 15:56]:
> > ppc64 is not currently a candidate for a separate arch,
> >
> If that's the case, could you close #263743.

The problem is that afaik there's currently disagreement about how it
should be done.  The IBM folks wanted to think about it, do some real
performance tests and get back to us.  This hasn't happened yet,
though.

Also, as with the amd64 port, there is disagreement about the name.
While ppc64 would be nicer and in line with the LSB, our current
PowerPC port is called powerpc and therefore it would make more sense
to call the 64 bit port powerpc64.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/