On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:15:16 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:54:09 -0500, Andres Salomon
> <dilinger@debian.org> wrote:
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:32:42 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> I'm a bit disappointed how the decision has been made.  I would have
>>
>>*Is* it a decision, or is it a proposal?  The wording is unclear.
>
> I don't think it is unclear at all. The powers that decide have
> shifted a little bit, but they still decide without consulting the
> developer body, which is _very_ disappointing.

There is talk on IRC about this being a proposal (coming from people that
were present at the meeting).  *shrug*.

>>I personally think the idea is a good one; maintainers can concentrate on
>>common architectures, and we can potentially have a sane release cycle.
>>Meanwhile, porters can have full control of when and what they release,
>>without being constricted by others' deadlines and such.  Unfortunately,
>>the naming (second class citizen?), and the feeling that their
>>architectures are no longer "officially supported", means that people will
>>view this as a negative thing.
>
> Additionally, they are being excluded from having access to important
> resources, and the possibility of filing RC bugs which is the only way
> to get lazy maintainers moving is being taken away.

That's an awfully pessimistic view.  All porters need is some sort of
leverage that allows them to force maintainers to accept or deal w/
their patches; perhaps some QA team members who will NMU
poorly-maintained packages on behalf of porters?  The amd64 crew seems to
be getting along ok w/out having their FTBFS bugs considered RC..