On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:45:09PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The much larger consequence of this meeting, however, has been the
> crafting of a prospective release plan for etch.  The release team and
> the ftpmasters are mutually agreed that it is not sustainable to
> continue making coordinated releases for as many architectures as sarge
> currently contains, let alone for as many new proposed architectures as
> are waiting in the wings.  The reality is that keeping eleven
> architectures in a releasable state has been a major source of work for
> the release team, the d-i team, and the kernel team over the past year;
> not to mention the time spent by the DSA/buildd admins and the security
> team.  It's also not clear how much benefit there is from doing stable
> releases for all of these architectures, because they aren't necessarily
> useful to the communities surrounding those ports.

Will minutes of the meeting be made available ? This is a rather drastic step
to be taken, and it comes as rather a big surprise, so i believe that full
minutes of the meeting having taken that decision should be in order. I also
wonder about the absense of porter representative in said meeting and said
taking of decision, not mentioning the rest of the project. Speak about
communication and transparency.

I don't think this will be a good PR move though, we will probably see a
slashdot thread about "Debian dropping all architectures except the main 4" or
something such soon.

Friendly,

Sven Luther