Re: automake/autoconf in build-dependencies

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:18:12AM -0500, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
> Machine generated files (e.g. configure) constructed by autotools
> should not be in CVS.

> However, these files (as generated by the Debian maintainer's autotools
> run before the upload) should be included in the source package via the
> .diff.gz. so that the user doesn't need autotools.

> Therefore, the Debian maintainer should run autotools using current
> config.{sub,guess} before the diff.gz file is generated, possibly via
> an 'autogen.sh' script.

I think you got this last big backwards. config.{sub,guess} are used by
the configure script, not autoconf. So you can run autoconf at
package-source creation-time, and still gain the benefits of current
config.{sub,guess} at package (re)build-time. In fact, I believe that
was the original motivation for autotools-dev, since config.{sub,guess}
needed to be updated due to the fluidity of some ports (I think the
mips, sh and BSD ports were/are the most common "FTBFS: Update
config.{sub,guess}", but I could be wrong.)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.