Re: Re: Bug #298195: ITP: tinywm -- Ridiculously tiny window manager

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:38:49PM -0600, Nick Welch wrote:
> (not sure if i can post to this list, but what the hey)
>
> > That's not a free license. In fact, it's about as non-free as you can
> > get, since it's essentially "all rights reserved"; there's no
> > permission to modify or redistribute at all. We can't distribute this,
> > even in non-free.
> >
> > Here's the text:
> >
> > Use of the works is permitted provided that this instrument
> > is retained with the works, so that any entity that uses the
> > works is notified of this instrument.
> >
> > DISCLAIMER: THE WORKS ARE WITHOUT WARRANTY.
> >
> > Usual example of why random people should not be writing licenses.
>
> It's the fair license, which is OSI approved:
> http://opensource.org/licenses/fair.php

Thanks for pointing this out.  Now we have a concrete example of just how
screwed up OSI is.  That licence does not grant any permission to modify,
redistribute, or otherwise deal in the work in a Free manner.  For it to be
judged as satisfying the Open Source Definition is ludicrous.

- Matt