Re: NoX idea

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:36:46PM +0100, Jesus Climent wrote:
> What would people think about adding a check on all the *dm managers (read
> kdm, gdm and friends) about cheking the kernel command line from /proc/cmdline
> and grep for nox?
>
> I have the need some times to start a laptop with console mode, and it would
> be nice to just add an append to the kernel command line to stop it from
> running...
>
> Any comments?

Apart from the many people pointing out that this is what runlevels are
for, I will point out that it is not a safe assumption to presume that
/proc/cmdline exists... (some systems really mean "proc" when they have
/proc mounted, if they have it mounted at all, not "random system
information").

It also looks like /proc/self/cmdline is more universal, if anyone did
need to do something of the sort.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :