Re: self-depending packages

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:16:53PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > apt invokes dpkg on the command line and due to maximum command line
> > > length it sometimes is split in an unfortunate place.
> > >
> > > This will be fixed once dpkg is librarified.
> >
> > Er, no, it won't.
> >
> > That part of dpkg is not set to be turned into a library.
>
> Then any plan to impliment command sequence to obtain package name from
> standard input?
>
> $ echo package-1 package-2 | dpkg -i -- -
>
> Maybe these are discussed already in BTS....

dpkg can be controlled by a pipe (option --command-fd, but currently not
compiled in).
I once tried to solve the circular-dependency problem by using this:
- before forking dpkg from apt, use pipe() to create two file descriptors
- hand the "reading" one to dpkg --command-fd
- instead of giving packages at dpkg's command line, write the commands to
  the "writing" end of the pipe

this seemed to work quite well on my machine, but asking about this on the
deity and dpkg-dev list, Adam Heath told me this would fail in case of dpkg
errors (because apt doesn't know about what package caused the error). A
second 'reporting-fd' would be needed to return erroneous packages back to
apt...
since then, I didn't investigate this matter further

is there any progress on this matter (implementing a --report-fd) on the
dpkg side ?
--
c u
henning