Re: self-depending packages

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <ajk@debian.org> schrieb:

> On 20050227T214242+0100, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
>> My understanding is that a self-depending package must be configured
>> before it can be configured, which makes it unconfigurable, and hence
>> uninstallable. And I think the same reasoning can be applied to
>> circular dependencies. But Loic disagrees.
>
> Self-dependencies are harmless but ugly.  Circular dependencies are
> sometimes (though very seldom) necessary

Well, but why should a self-dependency be ever necessary?  And how can I
possibly install a package that was never installed previously if it
depends on itself?  It seems to me as if a Conflicts with versions older
than that depended-upon version would be the right thing to do, but not
in the library, but in the packages depending upon it.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich