Re: [debian-devel] Re: FW: A Call to Action in OASIS

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:53:49PM +0000, Magos?nyi ?rp?d wrote:
> A levelez?m azt hiszi, hogy Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader a következ?eket írta:
> > * Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> [2005-02-23 09:18]:
> > > Debian has a representative in OASIS doesn't it?
> >
> > Yes (Mark Johnson); I already mailed him to ask for his comments.
>
> I would be happy if Debian would do everything possible against
> standards covered by patents.
>
> It is our essential interest.

I would not, and it isn't. There is a wide variety of things possible
to do against standards covered by patents that would not be a good
idea, including but not limited to writing licenses that are non-free
out of a misguided attempt to prohibit them. This isn't an academic
concern, it's a real problem that we've been facing for quite some
time now.

Action based on rational evaluation of the consequences *only*, please.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |