Re: Let's remove mips, mipsel, s390, ...

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:16:38PM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20050221103803.GD2811@grep.be> you wrote:
> > Hypothetical daily KDE builds would also insanely increase the
> > amount of network traffic being used by the mirror pulse and people
> > upgrading their home boxes, so it isn't just a buildd problem.
>
> Perhaps it helps, if the buildds for slow systems introduce some delay
> before startng the build, and not building if another architecture
> failed at all. That way if a package is often uploaded or hase obvious
> errors, the build for that is skipped.

We've considered that, but it hasn't happened yet.

> BTW: is s390 one of those slow architectures? I bet IBM dont want to hear
> that?

The problem with s390 is that you can't just go to eBay and buy yourself
an s390; or even if you could, that you would still require some hosting
for it (a fridge-sized machine isn't exactly cheap to host in a data
center, and I'd prefer your electricity bill to contain the machine's
power needs over mine), so we rely on s390 owners to donate us a virtual
machine on their box, which may or may not use the full CPU power of the
machine it's hosted on.

The same isn't true for (e.g.) m68k, which results in the latter being
better supported (in some ways, such as one of the m68k buildd hosts
(jt7) having 256M of RAM and 120G of disk space) than s390.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks