Re: apt-src cannot build

On Thursday 17 February 2005 21:32, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:09:41PM +0200, Marcus Sundman wrote:

> > > You don't have to enter to foo-version directory.
> > > Anyway it should work even with that... both ways works for me.
> >
> > I tried that, too, but it still just says "E: Not installed".
> >
> > What's "E" and what's not installed? (This must be one of the least
> > helpful error messages I've ever seen.)
>
> E means "error".

Ah, ok.. (If the author tried to be confusing he could have made it say
"Blue: No roof" or something. Although on a second thought that probably
would have been too obvious and made ppl check out the source, and this way
he got it actually more confusing by being less confusing. Clever.)

> Are you sure all build dependencies are installed ?

No. "apt-src install foo" installed a lot of stuff, so I guessed it was OK
and didn't know how to fix it even if it wasn't OK.

>   apt-get build-dep foo

That didn't seem to do anything but apparently it did the trick because now
it works. Thanks!!!
(It would be nice if the man page of apt-src would state that "build"
requires doing an "apt-get build-dep".)

Best regards,

- Marcus Sundman