Re: About valid and invalid user names

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:47:37 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> >Because people will use it to enable users with start with a digit, since
> >they certainly don't know better or they would never have asked for this.
>
> Right now, we have users patching the adduser "binary" to allow their
> user names.

They are going a long way to be able to shoot themselves in the foot :(

Maybe an initial digit is valid as long as there are other no-digit
characters in the username?  I still am not sure tools will like it.
Still, if it is POSIX, we do it and we fix whatever tools that break, like
it was done to chown.

All-digit usernames are clearly an extremely bad idea, IMHO.  Anyone who
needs it better make damn sure they *always* map one-to-one to the same
numerical userid, or they might be creating a huge security hole.

While adduser might enforce the above match for all-numerical usernames, I
am not sure it is a good idea on the long run.  If the users ever get
renumbered, kabloom!  It is a very bad practice that IMHO we should not be
making any easier.

  Henrique Holschuh