Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:15:41AM +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
> Another issue - if a script is designed specifically to download
> non-free content, shouldn't it go in contrib?  According to Debian's
> official view that anything made of bits is software, the scripts to
> fetch the comics should go in contrib.  Please correct me if I'm wrong
> about that.

It doesn't matter if a piece of software works with non-free stuff, or even
if most of its use, by design, is for non-free stuff.  All that matters is
that there exists some free stuff that it works with.  For example, the
vast majority of the stuff that runs in Wine is non-free--but not all, so
Wine goes in main.  The relative quantities aren't relevant.

(It's not clear whether data beyond the scope of Debian--such as comics
being downloaded--are relevant to this, either, but that's another debate.)

--
Glenn Maynard