Depends: and commands used in maintainer scripts

Hi,

what is the reason why in the following sentence in Policy:

,----
| The Depends field should also be used if the postinst, prerm or postrm
| scripts require the package to be present in order to run.
`----

the word "should" is used, not "must"? I'm asking here (not on -policy)
because I assume there must be a technical reason for it, but I really
can't think of any.

If a package is missing a Depends, and therefore will routinely fail in
prerm or postrm --remove, isn't that a release-critical bug?

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich