Version woes (packaging SWT milestones)

I'm packaging SWT for GTK version 3.1M4, which is a prerelease of 3.1.
I want to eventually package 3.1. What options do I have for numbering
the prerelease so that 3.1 is a greater version number? If I
understand epochs, I could name the next one 1:3.1, although I'm not
particularly fond of that solution. The version number has to be
greater than 3.0 and less than 3.1, so it seems to me that indicates
it must start with 3.0.x. Perhaps 3.0.3.1M4? Ugly. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Shaun