Re: The keychain package, its debconf templates, the security hole induced

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Dudes. There is a reason why those informations are not written to file by
> ssh itself. If my local machine gets corrupted, I'm happy to see the

And it is because all of ssh-agent is a second-thought crap, as evidenced by
the fact that stock ssh-agent is not capable of "withholding keys unless
given explicit permission to act every time one request comes".

But it is still usefull as all heck crap.  I use it all the time, along with
keychain.  But certainly not without paying attention to what I am doing.

> You should at least speak about the potential security risk in the
> description.

Agreed.

> I'd drop the package from the archive right away. I have several cron jobs
> using ssh keys (a new key for each cron, without pass and allowed to do only
> one specific command on the remote host).

This can very well be a much bigger security risk than doing what you
already do BUT using passphrases AND ssh-agent to reduce the window of
opportunity.

And avoiding keychain does not make it much more difficult to find out how
to talk to any in-memory ssh-agent anyway, you know.

NOR does it make it any more difficult to locate all unprotected keys in
your machine through a rgrep.

>  - speak about the potential security hazard in description
Or in README.Debian.

>  - check the pre-installed version before showing your crufty template (or
>    use README.Debian, it's what it's good for)

Actually, that's NEWS.Debian material.  And yes, drop it from debconf
entirely.

>  - do usefull changelog entries in your packages in the future.

Seconded, thirdied, etc.

  Henrique Holschuh