Re: Lintian-induced changes in changelog, hardlinks?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:33:00PM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> writes:
>
> > Also, eh, I'm not convinced lintian is correct here in complaining,
> > I'm a bit unsure. Lintian has warned for any hardlinks for a long time,
> > but is it really bad to have them? Having them across different
> > directories might cause problems when the user has those on different
> > filesystems, but in the same directory? Opinions?
>
> Some file systems don't support hardlinks, such as AFS, which causes
> a lot of trouble if you want to mount a Debian system via AFS.

%mount
AFS on /afs type afs (rw)
%pwd
/afs/umich.edu/user/b/f/bfields
%touch TMP
%ln TMP TMP2
%ls -li TMP*
1788936372 -rw-r--r--    2 bfields  user            0 Jan 14 14:54 TMP
1788936372 -rw-r--r--    2 bfields  user            0 Jan 14 14:54 TMP2

It's just cross-directory hardlinks that AFS doesn't like:

%mkdir TMP3
%ln TMP TMP3/FOO
ln: creating hard link `TMP3/FOO' to `TMP': Invalid cross-device link

--Bruce Fields