Re: If *-module depends on *-utils, should *-source recommend it?

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:37 pm, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 12:26 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:52 am, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > It's breaking elegance to fix something I'm not convinced is a problem.
> >
> >   Just to be clear: you mean the elegance of the dpkg code, not its
> > external behavior, right?  Because I don't see anything elegant about
> > erroring out and leaving an operation half-completed.
>
> Why not?  It means that you just need to go fetch and install the
> dependency, you don't need to try and install the depending package
> again.

  Well, you're also leaving the package in a broken and unconfigured state.
Doing this in order to save the user a little typing later (adding the
original package to the second --install line) seems to me like a hack to
make some use cases slightly more convenient, not elegance.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|      "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over      |