Re: removed start links are back after upgrade

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:41:34 +0100, Erik Schanze wrote:
> As I understand, deleting start links with 'update-rc.d -f apache remove' is
> the Debian way of removing start calls for services at boot time.

No. Generally update-rc.d is a tool for maintainer scripts not for the admin to use.

Its manpage says explicitly:
       If any files /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist
       then update-rc.d does nothing. This is so that the system
       administrator can rearrange the links, provided that they leave
       at least one link remaining, without having their configuration
       overwritten.

> After every package upgrade of e. g. apache, I must call this command again,
> because start links were be installed again. Is it the normal behaviour? If
> yes, I think that should be handled better.
> update-rc.d should remember, which services are disabled and should disable it
> after every upgrade.
>
> Or is there any other way to prevent starting such services at boot time
> persistently?

mv S91apache K91apache
There are probably some tools (sysv-rc-conf?) to make it more "user-friendly".

PS. this is a topic for debian-user not debian-devel

--
Michał Politowski
Talking has been known to lead to communication if practised carelessly.