Re: Serious problem with the tty terminal - HELP!

On Jan 10, 2005 at 15:08, Simon Raven / Eric S. Côté praised the llamas by saying:
> Le lun 2005-01-10 a 09:19:17 -0500, Bjorn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> a dit:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have a problem with the text (tty) terminals. The problem is that if I move
> > from the x-server to an tty text terminal I can't go back and I can't switch
> > to another tty terminal either. The only way to get back to X is to kill the
> > x-server.
> >
> > This problem has arised since I deleted all files i /lib. Then I reinstalled
> > the gnome and kde system with the apt tool. And I have also reinstalled
> > the base system, but it seems I've missed something, because this is not the
> > default behaviour after a fresh install. And when I mean a fresh install, I
> > mean installing from scratch with an empty harddisk.
> >
> > PLEASE, can someone help?

You might find installing debsums and running "debsums -a -s" useful.
This might tell you packages which have files missing in /lib. You can
then do "apt-get --reinstall install foo-package" to replace that file.
This all assumes that all your packages have md5sum files.

I'm sure you could write a bash script that took dpkg --get-selections,
and Contents.gz and checked it against the existence of files in /lib.

Failing that, reinstall

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com