Re: Manpages licensed under GFDL without the license text included

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 04:53:25PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> >> I think it's enough to add an additional notice stating that the named
> >> section is reproduced in the gfdl(7) manpage, incorporated by
> >> reference.
> >
> > I doubt that this would satisfy clause 4.H. of the G"F"DL:
> >
> >        H.     Include an unaltered copy of this License.
> >

> > Note that it says /Include/, not /Accompany with/...
>
> Nothing in the license says that the "Document" must be a single file
> (or a single piece of paper).

Bear in mind that there is nothing that then allows us to distribute the
package in question except as a part of a system that includes the
other data that is referred to. The fact that we have conveniently
ignored this problem when dealing with the GPL and BSD licenses so far
does not make it go away.

The license information should be included in every individual package.
We should come up with an alternative mechanism to save space, if that
is what we want to do (e.g. allow packages to install the same file so
long as the md5sums of the different versions match).

Cheers,

Nick