Re: murphy is listed on spamcop

On Friday 07 January 2005 10:03, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:
> > The problem with spam filtering is that it's always a matter of
> > trade-offs. If there is too much spam then when deleting all the spam you
> > will accidentally delete some non-spam.
>
> Yes, but you have to actually describe the trade-offs, and
> importantly, who the trade-offs effect and what they can do to fix
> problems.

I described the trade-offs of spamcop earlier in this thread.

> Also important is who is making the trade-offs, and on behalf of
> whom.  When the costs get shunted on to other people, and you capture
> all the benefits yourself, it's very easy to assume the trade-offs
> must be worth it.  Much different is if you have a system where you
> need the consent of those other people before you start trading them
> off!

I think we all agree that challenge-response systems are wrong.  CR systems
are the only ones that force all the costs on other people.

There is some minor inconvenience to sender when a message is rejected due to
the spamcop DNSBL, but that falls into one of two categories:

1)  The ISP is generally good, in which case the problem is already fixed and
after a short timeout (often 24 hours) the message can be re-sent and will go
through.  In most cases this means that as soon as the sender is aware of the
problem they can re-send successfully.

2)  The ISP takes no action about spam.  In this case I don't want to receive
email from that ISP.  Also other anti-spam systems will block the ISP so it's
not a spamcop issue.

I don't believe that there is any serious problem here.  I correspond via
email regularly with many people and don't get any complaints.  When
something does go wrong then they complain fast enough (when something
trivial happens such as a lack of disk space causing 45x errors I get
complains very quickly).