Re: How to ensure packages generated from -source are installable?

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:20:04 +0100, William Ballard wrote:
> Kernel module source packages generated Debian packages which may not be
> installable.  For instance, alsa-source does not depend on alsa-base,
> but the generated alsa-modules does.  ndiswrapper-source does the same
> with ndiswrapper-utils.

Right.  Do you regard this as a problem?

> Is there a flag to dpkg to refuse to install unless dependencies are
> met?

I am not sure what you mean.  That is dpkg's default behavior.

> What ends up happening now is the package ends up installing broken.

I am not sure what you mean by this.  Here is what happens when I install
an alsa-modules package in the absence of alsa-base:

jdthood@thanatos:/usr/src$ sudo dpkg -i alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686_1.0.7-3~unreleased1+10.00.Custom_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686.
(Reading database ... 192428 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686 (from alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686_1.0.7-3~unreleased1+10.00.Custom_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686:
 alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686 depends on alsa-base (>= 1.0.1-1); however:
  Package alsa-base is not installed.
dpkg: error processing alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686 (--install):
 alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686

If you are complaining about the fact that dpkg leaves behind unpacked
files when it aborts then I suggest you file a bug report against dpkg.
This can then be merged with #15162 and the twelve reports already merged
with it which complain about dpkg leaving behind unpacked files in various
other circumstances.

> The generalized form of this question is how does one deal with
> missing dependencies when using dpkg and not apt.

One downloads the missing packages and dpkg --install's them.

BTW have you tried module-assistant?

--
Thomas Hood