OT: "Private" shared object libraries?

I build Firefox from source and just `cp -rL dist/bin` to some
directory, and just run 'firefox' from there.  I like having the rest
of the system unware of Firefox's existence unless I explicitly wire it
up.

But now I want to mess around with GtkMozEmbed, so I have to register
some of the shared objects but I don't want them in a public area.  I
want them in a non-standard location and explicitly tell programs to
look there.  I don't want programs to just "find" Firefox.

$ /x/b/moz/cur/firefox-bin
/x/b/moz/cur/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

All the required .so files are in /x/b/moz/cur.