Re: Introducing pmount in Debian / New plugdev group

Hi!

Marco d'Itri [2004-11-10 14:19 +0100]:
> On Nov 10, Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> wrote:
>
> > Our /etc/udev/udev.rules has two new rules directly after the cdrom
> > and floppy rules:
> >
> > # put removable IDE/SCSI devices into group 'plugdev' instead of 'disk'
> > BUS="scsi", KERNEL="sd[a-z]*", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/removable.sh %k", RESULT="1", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"
> > BUS="ide", KERNEL="hd[a-z]*", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/removable.sh %k", RESULT="1", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"
>
> What about I ship the script in udev (as /etc/udev/scripts/removable.sh)
> and your package install the rules file? Or udev provides the rules file
> too and your package enables it by creating the symlink?

I thought over that again. The removable.sh script and the new rules
should not be shipped in pmount, because pmount actually does not care
about the device permissions.

I ship these scripts in the Ubuntu version of hal now, where it fits
much better, because the primary reason for introducing these rules
was to allow hal to read the raw devices. As soon as Sjoerd decides to
adopt the "hal running as normal user" approach, it is sufficient to
adopt the Ubuntu patch to Debian's hal, without caring for any
external dependencies.

Have a nice day!

Martin

--