Re: Use of automake & friends vs. just running configure

Scripsit Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>

> Except nobody can actually find an example of the good reason anymore,
> which leads me to suspect it's actually bogus.  Automake 1.6 through 1.9
> are largely interchangeable.

Well, I like having the intermediate versions available. When, during
packaging, I need to change a Makefile.am it is nice to be able to
process it with a version of automake that's relatively close to the
one the upstream author used. It gives smaller diffs and makes it
easier to trust that the build system will still work [1], even in
build circumstances that I cannot personally test.

[1] or at least work as well as upstream's original one.

--
Henning Makholm          "Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the
                       compiler being used finds a legitimate interpretation