Re: debian-policy: virtual package request: mpd-client

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Eric Wong wrote:
> > Users are expected to install an mpd-client like mpc, mpdcon.app,
> > gmpc, phpmp, or ncmpc to control mpd.  I'm using Suggests: and not
> > Depends: because mpd and mpd-clients use TCP/IP, and don't
> > necessarily run on the same machine.
>
> Dependencies (Depends, Recommends, Suggests) describe relationships
> between packages on the same machine.  This is not totally explicit in
> the policy, though.  If you want to hint the user what sort of clients
> and servers work together, you need to do that elsewhere.

Yes, but the common case for mpd usage is that the daemon and client run
on the same machine.

I don't have hard statistics, but from my own involvement with the MPD
community for the past 11 months or so; users run mpd-clients and mpd
itself from the same machine roughly 80-90% of the time.  I've even
talked to several users who didn't even know about the remote
capabilities of mpd :)

On a sidenote:

The TCP/IP networking capabilities help me a LOT when I'm working with
several machines in a room, with _one_ of them playing music, but I
can adjust playback, and add songs to the playlist from any of them
without going back to the one running the daemon.

--
Eric Wong