Re: Depending on kernel >= 2.6

Andres Salomon dijo [Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:15:09PM -0400]:
> > - How can I mark a package to depend on having kernel 2.6 or higher?
> >   Even more, how can I make it build-depend on it? (If I am not
> >   mistaken, I will only need a kernel 2.6.x installed in order to
> >   build, even though the system can be running 2.4.x)
>
> Build-dep on linux-kernel-headers.  This package contains 2.6 kernel
> headers for glibc to use, and contains epoll stuff.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear :)

> Instead of having two separate packages, I would recommend changing the
> source (or convincing upstream to do so) to detect epoll support at
> runtime.  If epoll support is there, the program can use it; otherwise, it
> can fall back to something else.

Yup, will try to convince upstream to do so.

> A simplistic let-the-user-choose system is destined to be buggy
> (especially if the two packages conflict); upgrading from 2.4 -> 2.6, or
> switching between kernels means the binary will break on the kernel it's
> not designed for.

Fortunately, it will only break if you go down from 2.6 to 2.4... But
it will underperform if you go up to 2.6 and don't select epoll.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23