Re: Web applications

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 04:48:35PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > /web/mywebapp.example.com
> And the first package that goes over whatever I've got installed at
> /web/mywebapp.example.com, unless there's FHS approval for it, gets a HEOE.

What does HEOE mean? I tried looking it up. Acronyms slow down readers
and I don't think we desperately need to save space. There is enough
acronyms as it is. IMO. ;)

> > Just got served from http://mywebapp.example.com
> But I want my shiny new webapp to be at example.com/mywebapp -- no, wait,
> make that vhost12.com/preproduction/mywebapp.

Then use for example on the file system:
/web/example.com/mywebapp
/web/vhost12.com/preproduction/mywebapp
What's the problem?

> > Btw I found nothing in the fhs about web stuff.
> You need to look harder.  /srv is The Way Of The Future, apparently.

Ok future. I read pg15 of http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf
and it doesn't really help all that much. So we could put "web" in
/srv/web.  Then we're left with the "no consensus" bit. Uh oh...

This demands some serious thinking. I'll mail W3-TAG for an opinion.

> > Web apps should not be dependent on apache, but just httpd.
> Riiiight.  Is there any requirement for a package providing httpd to even
> *have* CGI capabilities?  Once you give a complete API for managing the
> configuration of every httpd-providing package in the archive, let me know.

Can't we assume web apps use CGI?

So what's the point of the virtual package httpd?