Re: kernel-image-amd64 for sarge

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:58:06PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> So why do we get this dor x86_64 but not for ppc64.

This is indeed a good question.

> Also why that silly
> non-standard amd64 -name while everyone else uses x86{-,_}64?

But this is beating a dead horse. The amd64 porters and the Debian CTTE
decided the name of the port is amd64, period.

Please stop with this discussion once and for all.

> IMHO this is a little rushed.

We need amd64 support in sarge, at least a minimal support like a 64bit
kernel and the possibility to run 64 bit binaries at all.

It was not possible to add the pure64 port in time to sid so it could be
tested enough to become a release candidate, so please don't deny this
really minimal support, it's the indispensable minimum our users require
if they have an amd64 based system.

Greetings
Frederik Schueler

--