Re: Fixed in NMU of wmaker 0.80.2-0.3

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:11:24AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:32:08AM -0400, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>  >    * Recompile against libtiff4 and change dependencies of libwraster2-dev
>  >      accordingly (Closes: #262545, #262844).

>  Sounds fucked up.

That is the way libtiff is. :-(

>  I haven't had the time to participate in the discussion in -devel, but
>  the recomendation made in the bug report screws things up.

This was discussed and agreed upon both on release and devel.

> You are
>  gratiously breaking compatibility with other distributions.

I think you are missing the fact that not only Debian but e.g. also
FreeBSD has chosen to use this soname for libtiff 3.6.1. And
Upstream is aware of that.

Additionally compatibility with other distributions is fundamentaly
broken, some $otherdistro uses libtiff3.5.7 for libtiff.so.3 some use
libtiff3.6.1 for libtiff.so.3. You cannot be compatible with both. Our
way is at least compatible with Debian woody.

> If the collective wish of -devel is to screw up like that, so be it,
> but, lacking a better explaination of why this is the proper
> solution, let it stay on record that I don't agree with it.

The ABI broke, therefore we need to make sure our dependencies force
this:
* every package compiled against libtiff 3.6.1 depends on libtiff
  3.6.1.

* The package containing libtiff 3.6.1 _must_ not fulfill
  the dependency "libtiff3g". Otherwise partial upgrades from woody
  are broken.

The only way to cleanly do this is switching the soname.
                    cu andreas