Re: libtiff transition: packages still not done

>   On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:39:16AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>   > On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 06:36:01PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>   > > I've just noticed that libtiff doesn't have any versioned symbols. Is
>   > > there any kind of transition for programs that link both directly and
>   > > indirectly to libtiff? Otherwise, we'll start to be in a pain as deep as
>   > > libpng's...
>   >
>   > Are there any packages in this situation *with cause*?
>
>   dx has a native interface to libtiff, but also links to imagemagick.
>   Historically, the latter alone has been enough of a source of problems
>   that issues with libtiff are hardly going to cause significantly more
>   headaches, though.

I've seen other systems, such as vips (packaged but not yet uploaded)
that uses libtiff, libjpg, and libpng directly for manipulating those
images and, if it is compiled with libmagick, uses that for everything
else.  Sometimes people want to use tiff-specific functionality, such
as tiles, informational tiff headers, or other features that may (or
may not) be supported by other libraries.  I personally don't know
ImageMagick's library interface, so I can't comment specifically on
that, but it's certainly the case with at least some third-party
tiff-supporting libraries that use libtiff behind the scenes that you
can load and save certain types of tiff files but not with the full
level of control the TIFF library gives you.

--Jay