Re: sbuild package

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 07:53:22PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> > > It can't be that broken - works for me here, and did so ever since I
> > > first installed it.
> >
> > Try to compile bash
>
> Selecting a few packages does not make it so broken that one requests
> its removal. If it would break on most of the package - removal would be
> justified. If it fails on a few, that's a bug, a nasty one which should
> be fixed in a timely manner. However, it does not make the package
> completely broken, and is not a good reason enough to ask for its
> removal (or to suggest doing so).

It is broken if it has not been updated in 1.5 years, it was forked (and its
fork is used in the buildds), the bash bug was known and solved in the forked
branch (although no one ever filled a serious bug against it nor the changes
made on the forked oneone were integrated in the code) and the script which
the documentation claims need to be used has an RC for 154 days.

The possible paths are:

- take proper care of it
- remove it and upload the version used in the buildds
  (which is not a drop-in replacement)
- hijack it

I never said it is completely broken. But it struck me that few people knew
about the bash problems and i did not find a bug report about it and no one
thought about a replacement.

Cheers,
--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.4.26|Helsinki Finland

Yes...No...I don't know. I don't know what I want.
		--Sam Lowry (Brazil)