Re: orphaned packages

Russ,

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:49:36PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> A good example, IMO, would be weblint, which I keep stumbling across in
> the orphaned packages page.  There isn't a lot *wrong* with it, and there
> don't appear to be any RC bugs in it.  However, it only supports HTML 4,
> there is no upstream at all (upstream cannot be contacted and their domain
> has expired), there's no active development that I've been able to find,
> and there are other programs already packaged for Debian that do roughly
> the same thing but support current web standards, such as tidy.  It's been
> orphaned for about a year.

> I think that adopting weblint would actually be a waste of someone's time,
> time that really would be better used improving other equivalent packages
> or maybe even adding a work-alike wrapper around another checker to aid
> user migration.

> Right now, it's a bit of a distraction to have it listed, since people
> like me who are looking for packages to potentially adopt stumble across
> it and spend time thinking about whether it might be a good candidate.

Would you mind following up to the wnpp bug with this information, and
cc: debian-qa on the message, so that someone can start the process of
getting it removed from the archive?

FWIW, I don't think that removing orphaned packages from the archive is
something that should be done automatically; but I do think we have a
responsibility to phase out packages when we no longer believe it's in
our users' best interest to install them -- to the point that I think
more maintainers should be asking for removal of their own packages
instead of orphaning.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer