Re: libtiff4 transition: please rebuild your packages

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:01:52PM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:12:37AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > I'm a maintainer of asc which depends on libtiff3.
> > > However it depends indirectly by libsdl-image1.2-dev.

> > > SDL has been uploaded yesterday with the fixed dependencies, but with a low
> > > priority. What will happen if I will upload my package with the medium
> > > priority? I think it's useless cause it will have to wait for libsdl.

> > > Any hints for unexperienced maintainer? ;)

> > BTW, if you have some comfort level with autotools, please consider
> > updating asc to use the latest version of libtool; I don't see anything
> > in asc that needs libtiff directly, so using a newer libtool (1.5.2-2 or
> > newer) will ensure you don't have to worry about transitions of image
> > libraries in the future.

> > For information on how to update the version of libtool used in your
> > package, please see
> > <http://people.debian.org/~keybuk/libtool-updating.html>.

> Some questions to the above.
> Should I make this on my sources before packaging them and create new
> orig.tar.gz file, or maybe old orig and bigger diff?
> Or maybe during build process?

> Some more verbose information would be very useful for me.
> I'm not libtool expert unfortunatelly :/

Unless you are the upstream, it's usual to make thiis change in the
Debian diff.  Be sure to add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in if it
isn't already there, if you do this.

Of course, it's also a good thing to encourage your upstream to use a
newer version of libtool, but these are changes that shouldn't always
wait for a new upstream release.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer