Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:06:58PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> The issue is not about "firmware", it's about whether there is
> changeable software which we are prevented from changing by licensing
> restrictions.

In the firmware case, the problem seems to be firmware blobs that are under
free licenses, but don't actually provide source (possibly, as some have
suggested, because there really is none).  It doesn't seem to be a
licensing issue; the first part of DFSG#2 ("must include source code")
isn't talking about licensing.

I've seen BSD-licensed software that didn't actually come with source (or
with incomplete source), such as foobar2000: BSD-licensed, but the core
source isn't actually included.  This wouldn't be allowed in Debian (even
if it was a Unix program), despite being under a DFSG-free license.

--
Glenn Maynard