Re: TrueType font policy / best practices?

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 4:07 am, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> The whole font subject is a big mess in Debian.
>
> There seems to be no policy about fonts, and nobody knows where to
> put them, or how to handle them.

I don't know if it's a mess on the technical side of things, but it
hasn't been easy for me to find authorative information about how
Debian handles fonts.

> Defoma/Fontconfig/X guys please tell (or better, write down) how
> things should work!
>
> 	1. In what directory all the (new) fonts should be/put in
> 	2. What fontpaths need to be set/modified for new dirs
> (X/fontconfig/etc) 3. What's the purpose of defoma.. what does it do
> for the fonts 4. what is x-ttcidfont-conf and how it relates to these
> other things

I think I understand the high-level of what defoma and x-ttcidfont-conf
are meant to do, and I can make font packages that register with
defoma, but I still kind of feel like I'm doing things the really hard
way...

Anyway, I guess for now I'll just use best practices from other font
packages, but I think a sub-policy on fonts would be pretty useful. I'd
be happy to contribute, but I've still got to learn better how it's
done now myself.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>